Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Goal is a Dream with a Deadline

Many years ago I saw a sign in a dugout during a college baseball game that read, "A goal is a dream with a deadline." I've never forgotten it....

I was recently asked "What drives you?" It is a complicated question for me because it drives a myriad of thoughts and ideas - all of which move too fast through my brain to get my head around and connect together in order to formulate a coherent answer. But one sense which is consistently recurring when I contemplate the answer to what drives me - urgency.

Urgency drives me all the time, with a constant need to remind myself to be sure it doesn't instill a self-induced panic, rather create a productive method to my day and life as a whole.

Urgency is the heart and sole behind MakeCFHistory.com. I don't need to try to raise $1,000,000 for CF research. I don't need to build a website and collaborate with the CF foundation. All this entails work - unsolicited work. I could more easily go about attending various fund raising activities and do my part to obtain donations, etc. But I don't want to do that. Why? Without intending to sound critical, that is the easy way out. And I don't want to go down that path. Why? I don't know why - what I do know is that tomorrow is not a guarantee for anyone, and to that end, it is my dream to do something extraordinary with the time I have. Why? I don't know why. All I know is that I better get moving on it now. There it is - urgency.

To that end, it is my dream to be an active member of a generation that finds a cure for CF. In creating MakeCFHistory.com, my dream is now a goal. It's nothing complicated, flashy, or glitsy. It's actually quite simple - people donate to CF, and in turn we recognize them ad infinitum on our site. Simple.

More importantly - we're not looking for a select few to donate millions of dollars - we're looking for millions of people to donate a few dollars.

I am looking forward to seeing this initiative achieve its goal! And my sincere gratitude goes out to everyone who is supporting this initiative and CF research as a whole.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment